Granton War Memorial
Norman Reginald Walker
Norman Reginald Walker was born in Edinburgh circa 1896 and was the only son of Edwin J and Elizabeth Pullar Petrie Walker. At the time of the 1901 the family were living in the Goldenacre area – at 14 Royston Terrace. His father was a commercial traveller. By the time of the First World War the family home was at ‘Les Iris’, 103 Granton Road – which was in the Parish of Granton.
Before the outbreak of war he was serving in Lothians and Border Horse – a mounted equivalent of the Territorials. The Edinburgh Evening Dispatch on 16th September 1918 reported that he had been mobilised with Lothians and Border Horse in August 1914 and had been commissioned into the Royal Scots early in the war. He had subsequently seen much hard fighting with the Royal Scots and on one occasion in 1917 was the only officer who was able to bring back the remainder of his men from an attack. In July 1917 he was appointed to the rank of Lieutenant in the Regular Army.
He was killed in action on 23rd August 1918, aged 23 years. He was at that time attached to the King’s Own Scottish Borderers. He is buried in Le Grand Hasard Military Cemetery, Morbecque in France.