Granton War Memorial
Robert Maule was the son of Sir Robert Maule, the proprietor of the departmental store at the West End of Princes Street which later became Binns and is now Frasers. The family home in Edinburgh was at Ashbrook, on Ferry Road – an address which was at that time in the Parish of Granton. They also had another home at Dalreoch, Tummelbridge, Perthshire.
An obituary published in the Scotsman on 2nd June 1915 states that he was educated at Morrison’s Academy, Crieff and then at the Leys School, Cambridge. He then went on to Christ’s College, Cambridge where he captained the college lacrosse and tennis clubs. After leaving the university he joined his father’s firm and in 1913 he became a partner in the firm.
In 1911 he was commissioned as a Second Lieutenant in one of the Edinburgh based battalions of the Territorial Force – 5th Battalion, Royal Scots (Queen’s Edinburgh Rifles). They met at the Drill Hall in Forrest Hill, Edinburgh. In 1914 he was promoted to Lieutenant.
On 20th March 1915 the 5th Battalion Royal Scots sailed from Avonmouth to Egypt and on to Gallipoli, arriving there on 25th April 1915. He was killed on 27th May 1915 and is buried in Pink Farm Cemetery, Helles.
He is also commemorated on the War Memorials at Blair Atholl and at the Bruntsfield Links Golf Club.