A snapshot of the routes as they were in 1952
The reason for choosing 1952 is that that was the year when the tram system was still in almost full operation, before the rundown started leading to complete closure in 1956.
The information here is confined to routes that served the Granton area. There were many other routes in the city, a total of 28 at one stage, although this had been reduced to 26 by 1952. They included, for example, the 7 and 11 which terminated at Craighall Road, Newhaven. The tramway network stretched from Maybury in the west to Levenhall in the east.
A useful feature of the Edinburgh system was the display at night of pairs of coloured lights below the route number, allowing potential passengers to see what tram was coming from a distance. The route colours for the services operating in the Granton area are shown below.
|Route||1952 Terminus A||1952 Terminus B||Via|
|2||Granton||Stenhouse||Junction Street, Leith Walk, York Place and George Street|
|8||Granton||Newington Station||Broughton Street|
|13||(circle)||(circle)||Churchhill and Granton via Pilrig Street|
|14||(circle)||(circle)||Churchhill and Granton via Bernard Street|
|16||Granton||Fairmilehead||Junction Street and York Place|
|17||Granton||Newington Station||Bernard Street|
|23||Granton Road Station||Morningside Station||Canonmills, Mound and Lauriston|
|27||Granton Road Station||Firrhill||Canonmills, Mound and Lauriston|
Tram routes serving Granton
These boards were shown at the foot of the front window on some services and gave extra route information. The main roller blind destination screen, lit from behind at night, had white letters on a black background and showed only one line – the destination. The tram boards were colour coded and the colours could be seen from a distance.
|Tram route||Terminus A||Terminus B||Bus route||Notes|
|8||Granton||Newington Station||8||extended to Muirhouse and Gilmerton|
|13||(circle)||(circle)||-||No direct replacement|
|14||(circle)||(circle)||-||No direct replacement|
|17||Granton||Newington Station||14||Muirhouse – Newington Station|
|23||Granton Road Station||Morningside Station||23||Terminus moved to Lennox Row|
|27||Granton Road Station||Firrhill||27||Extended to Crewe Toll|
In many cases routes were later extended and altered again. The bus routes were operated by Edinburgh Corporation until 1975, when they passed to Lothian Regional Council at the re-organisation of local authorities into regional and district councils. The operation traded as Lothian Regional Transport (LRT). Following bus deregulation in 1986 there were further changes to routes, and also a name change in 2000 to Lothian Buses. However a number of current Lothian Buses routes are clearly identifiable from tram route numbers (for example the 8 and the 23, and many others in the city), although the routes have often been extended beyond the tram termini.
The second link also gives details of sources and where to find further information.