(former Inverleith Parish Church)
Name and Denomination
|Original Name||Granton and Wardie Free Church|
|Original Denomination||Free Church of Scotland|
|1900-1929||United Free Church of Scotland|
|Subsequent Name||Inverleith Parish Church|
|Subsequent Denomination||Church of Scotland|
|Present Name||Edinburgh Tabernacle|
|Current Denomination||Redeemed Christian Church of God|
This church may also have been known as St. James Free Church (presumably at some point before 1929).
Design and Construction
|1880-1881||Hardy & Wight|
Some of the Ministers – Church of Scotland
|1952||Rev Arthur A Cowan, D.D.|
|1974||Rev D M Macdonald, D.D.|
|2008||Rev D Hugh Davidson|
Pastor – Edinburgh Tabernacle
This church is located on Inverleith Gardens, part of Ferry Road, at the top of Granton Road.
It replaced a temporary corrugated iron hut on the corner of Granton Road and Wardie Crescent where the Free Church of Scotland congregation had worshipped since 1874. This temporary building was the first church to be established in the Granton area.
The manse at 43 Inverleith Gardens, to the west of the church, was also designed by Hardy & Wright, in 1881.
The interior of the building was damaged by a fire in 1937, following which the wooden panelled roof, organ case and pulpit were replaced.
The congregation merged with the congregation of the nearby St. Serf’s Church in 2011, the united congregation being known as Inverleith St. Serf’s. The Inverleith buildings were initially used as halls for the merged congregation but were subsequently sold to the Edinburgh Tabernacle.