Granton Baptist Church
Name and Denomination
|Original Name||Granton Baptist Church|
|Original Denomination||Baptist Church|
|Present Name||Granton Baptist Church|
|Current Denomination||Baptist Church|
The church was known for some years as Granton (Francis Johnstone Memorial) Church.
Design and Construction
|Built (present building)||Architect|
|1992||D J Flett|
|1940-1946||Rev Peter S Bryans|
|1946-1949||Rev John D B Robertson|
|1950-1956||Rev Donald P McCallum|
|1956-1958||Rev Arthur P Lee|
|1960-1966||Rev Peter E Purkiss|
|1968-1980||Rev C Ernest Barnes|
|1982-1995||Rev Andrew B Scarcliffe|
|1996-1997||Rev Peter A MacRaild|
|1999-||Rev Ian R Dickie|
The origin of the church can be traced back to 1939. Following a period when services were held in the homes of members of the congregation, a temporary hall was built, known as ‘The Hut’.
It was felt that a more permanent building was needed and, with much of the cost being met by the sale of a former Baptist Church at Marshall Street, in the Bristo area of Edinburgh, a new building was opened in 1952.
A new hall followed in 1971/1972.
A new church building was constructed in 1991/1992, which is the building presently used by the congregation.
Over the years the church has been home to many organisations, including youth organisations.
In addition to the pastors listed above, the church has had the support and involvement of many people over the years.