Trinity Academy was built for Leith School Board. As in many areas, there was an ambitious programme of school-building in Leith at this period. Other schools built at around the same time included Leith Academy (now Leith Primary), Lochend Road (now converted into flats), Couper Street (now demolished) and a major enlargement of Dr Bell's – all designed by George Craig, architect to Leith School Board. He also found time to serve as architect to the Highland Railway and to write 'Building Stones used in Edinburgh: their geological courses, relative durability and other characteristics' (1892), published by the Edinburgh Geological Society – a very useful guide to building materials.
The school was opened in 1894 by Miss Flora Stevenson, who was the first woman to chair the Edinburgh School Board, and who had a primary school at Comely Bank named after her in 1901.
The building is described in 'The Buildings of Scotland – Edinburgh' (Gifford, McWilliam, Walker, 1984) as:
‘ambitious Renaissance... in brown stone with red dressings. Giant pilastered ends and a figure of Youth with the torch of learning high above the arcaded central porch.’
The school was initially known as Craighall Road School.
The building was extended to the east in 1957 and 1962 – architect Stanley P Ross-Smith.
|The Buildings of Scotland – Edinburgh||John Gifford, Colin McWilliam, David Walker||Penguin Books||1984||014071068x|