Granton Gas Works
Further information is available at:
- Wikipedia – article on the Scottish Gas Board
- Wikipedia – article on Town Gas
- Wikipedia – article on Gasworks
- The National Gas Museum website, with interesting background on gas manufacture, supply and use.
Wikipedia is "the free encyclopedia".
Mr Herring wrote two books on the Gas Works:
- Edinburgh & Leith Corporations Gas Commissioners – Granton Works – Descriptive Pamphlet (39 pages). A copy is in the Edinburgh Room at Central Library, George IV Bridge, Edinburgh;
- The Granton Gas Works, Edinburgh – Their Design, Construction and Equipment (284 pages, 228 plates). A copy is in the National Library of Scotland .
The first of these is a good general description. The second is recommended only if you are very interested!
There is also information on the Gas Works in the following book:
|Stranger on the Shore||James Gracie||Argyll Publishing||2003||1902831535|
You may also wish to look at:
This article is a report on recent research, and includes plans and photographs. Click on 'view pdf' on the linked page to read the document.
W R Herring patented various improvements to gas manufacture, both before and during his time with the Edinburgh and Leith Corporations Gas Commissioners.
These links are to the US patents, but some were also the subject of patents in Great Britain.