Newhaven Free Church (St Andrew’s)
Name and Denomination
|Original Name||Newhaven Free Church|
|Original Denomination||Free Church of Scotland|
|1900-1929||United Free Church of Scotland|
|Final Name||Newhaven St Andrew’s Parish Church|
|Final Denomination||Church of Scotland|
Design and Construction
|1852||J Anderson Hamilton|
The congregation of this church originated in 1843, when they left the Church of Scotland along with many other at the Disruption.
The church was substantially rebuilt in 1882-1883, when a tower and spire were added. The architect for this work was Wallace & Flockhart.
Follow the link below (Information about building) for more details.
Following the re-unification of most of the congregations of the United Free Church of Scotland with the Church of Scotland in 1929, the congregation and church were once more part of the Church of Scotland, and the congregation re-joined the Church of Scotland congregation in the older Newhaven Parish Church in 1974.
Some of the Ministers
|1952||Rev D H Neilson M.A.|
|1960||Rev W Birrell M.A.|
In the late nineteenth century, the minister was Rev David Kilpatrick. He was also, for over 25 years, Chairman of Leith School Board and had a school named after him – David Kilpatrick School in North Junction Street, Leith. The school was completed in 1915 but requisitioned for use as a military hospital and the first pupils did not use it until 1919. Ferrylee Care Home now stands on the site.
The church was sold after closure, and is now home to the Alien Rock indoor climbing centre. A climbing wall has been built almost to the full height of the roof, requiring the removal of the galleries, but the exterior of the building remains unaltered.