Granton Parish Church (former)
Name and Denomination
|Original Name||Granton Parish Church|
|Original Denomination||Church of Scotland|
|Present Name||(in commercial use)|
Design and Construction
|1877||Hardy & Wright|
This church was the second in the area, the first being Granton & Wardie Free Church (now Inverleith Parish Church).
It was built in 1877, using stone from the Fordell quarry, near Aberdour in Fife (according to ‘Building Stones of Edinburgh’ – see below). The stone apparently was almost white when new but quite quickly darkened.
The church was originally a ‘quoad sacra’ church – in other words, an additional church within an existing parish (Cramond). Later, in 1899, it became a parish church when Granton Parish was formed from part of what had been Cramond Parish.
The building is now in commercial use, by Ashworth & Thompson Ltd, a trade only supplier of picture framing materials.
Sources and further information
|Building Stones of Edinburgh||McMillan / Gillanders / Fairhurst||Edinburgh Geological Society||1999||0904440109|