Wardie Parish Church
Name and Denomination
|Original Name||Wardie UP Church|
|Original Denomination||United Presbyterian Church of Scotland|
|Name 1900 – 1929||Wardie UF Church|
|Denomination 1900 – 1929||United Free Church of Scotland|
|Present Name||Wardie Parish Church|
|Current Denomination||Church of Scotland|
Design and Construction
|1952||Rev James Rennie M.A.|
|1960||Rev James Rennie|
|1974||Rev Thomas Thomson M.A.|
|2008||Rev Brian Hilsley|
|2015||Rev Ute Jaeger-Fleming|
This church was built as a United Presbyterian church, the motivation and initial funding coming from James Fleming, a businessman who lived nearby.
At the time, the area around Wardie Church was developing, with new streets being formed and many new houses being built.
The church hall was built first, in 1886, and was also designed by John McLachlan. It replaced a temporary wooden hall. The present church was constructed in 1892-1893. The church was opened in 1893. The building was enlarged in 1899-1900, by another architect (McLachlan had died in 1893). In 1999 a new hall was built and other alterations carried out.