Granton Methodist Church
Name and Denomination
|Original Name||Granton Methodist Church|
|Original Denomination||Methodist Church|
|Present Name||Granton United Church|
|Current Denomination||Methodist Church|
Design and Construction
|1937||A H Mottram|
|1952||Rev C Banks|
|2008 - ?||Rev Deborah Cornish|
|2012||Rev Helen M Mee|
The church was built at a time when the population in the area was increasing with the building of many new houses.
It was initially intended to use the present building as the church only for a short while, and to build a church next to it with the present building then becoming the church hall. However this did not happen.
- 1936 — Granton Congregational Church founded
- 1938 — Granton Methodist Church founded
- 1997 — The two congregations begin to share worship
- 2000 — Granton Congregational Church, as part of the Congregational Union of Scotland, unites to form the United Reform Church
- 2001 — The two congregations form a joint Elders’ Council
- 2004 — The formal union of the two congregations in August takes place, with worship being in the Methodist building The URC building at 61 Boswall Parkway is sold to the Seventh Day Adventist Church
- 2010 — The congregation of Granton United Church move out to allow demolition and the building of 15 flats by Port of Leith Housing Association plus a new church. While this is being done the congregation worship in the Seventh Day Adventist Church.
- 2012 — The congregation move back to the newly completed church at 125 Boswall Parkway with a dedication service on 3 March 2012