Silverknowe was built in 1862 for Mr J H Mackenzie. By about 1900, the property was owned by Lord Young.
The building was designed by David Bryce, one of the leading architects in Scotland at the time, and built in 1862.
The house was extended several times while it was a private residence, and had a mature garden in front of it.
In 1950, the building was substantially altered to form Golf Club rooms, with a private flat for the Senior Professional, then Mr David Houston. The golf course was officially opened in 1957, initially with nine holes but soon extended to eighteen holes.
The building has since been largely demolished.